FSBC currently offers a scholarship program for school-aged children from from low-income families to join the FSBC swim team. The goals of the program are to give participants the opportunity to learn the competitive swim strokes, gain endurance, compete in JSL swim meets, and experience the benefits of team membership.
The program is managed by the FSBC Swim Team Committee and is funded by the generosity of our swim team families who sponsor scholarship swimmers. There are many ways to support the program. For example, swim team families can pay registration fees for scholarship swimmers, purchase team swim suits, goggles, and swim caps, provide transportation to and from the pool, encourage participation in social events, etc.
- Child must be between 5-18 years of age during the swim season
- Child must qualify for free/reduced lunch in the public school
- Child must have completed the Benjamin Hair Just Swim for Life Learn to Swim
- Child must have a FSBC member sponsor
- Application Process:
- Scholarship application must be submitted to the FSBC Swim Team Committee
- All information will remain confidential
- Acceptance will be determined by factors including:
- Number of swimmers currently in the age group to which application is made
- Perceived benefit to the child of joining the swim team rather than continuing in the Benjamin Hair Just Swim for Life Learn to Swim Program
- Upon acceptance, FSBC swim team registration and JSL paperwork will be completed
- Child will be entered into FSBC database, but scholarship status will not be publically available
- Child may participate in all FSBC swim team practices, meets and social functions
- Child may spend time at FSBC outside of official swim team functions
- Child must abide by all FSBC rules and policies
- Families of scholarship swimmers are welcome to attend swim team functions such as practice, meets, and social activities; however, a scholarship does not constitute a family membership.
- Sponsor must be a current FSBC member, 18 years of age or older
- Sponsor must pay the swim team registration fee for the child
- Sponsor must be responsible for ensuring that the child is supervised while at FSBC or at off-site meets and social functions
- Any behavioral concerns will be brought to the attention of the sponsor